Magdalene is fully committed to conducting itself in an environmentally responsible manner. This relies upon the good conduct both of the college staff and of the students. If you have any problems related to this matter, please contact email@example.com for your JCR Green and Ethical Officer, or http://jcr.magd.cam.ac.uk/
COLLEGE ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
Magdalene College places great importance on the environment and aims to manage its activities, buildings and estate in a manner that promotes environmental sustainability, conserves and enhances natural resources and prevents environmental pollution. It will strive to deliver a continual improvement in its environmental performance.
Magdalene College will comply fully with environmental legislation and officially approved codes of practice, and will make continued efforts to:
· Promote sound environmental management policies and practices in all areas of its activities;
· Increase awareness of environmental responsibilities amongst staff and students;
· Implement policies and procedures that contribute to a reduction in the carbon footprint of the College;
· Minimise waste and pollution, and operate effective waste management procedures;
· Reduce the consumption of fossil fuels;
· Reduce water consumption;
· Promote a purchasing policy which will give preference, as far as practicable, to those products and services which cause the least harm to the environment;
· Ensure future construction within the College is environmentally friendly, sustainable and energy efficient:
· Avoid use, wherever possible, of environmentally damaging substances, materials, and processes;
· Maintain our grounds and buildings in an environmentally sensitive way;
· Encourage modes of transport by staff and students which minimise the environmental impact.
COLLEGE ETHICAL INVESTMENT POLICY
The college's investment managers are expected to avoid involvement in organisations that clearly ignore responsible standards in dealing with, inter alia, employees, the environment, and the communities in which they operate.
The Investments Commitee reviews all individual investment transactions at its regular meetings with the opportunity, and authority, to make any changes it feels appropriate.
Magdalene now stocks fair trade goods in the buttery and in the college canteen as well as offering fair trade tea and coffee both to students and to conference parties. We are now a fairtrade college!